The average home and building needs to be repainted every 3-6 years. If you’re seeing signs that it’s finally time to repaint your home, here’s a checklist of things to do before hiring your professional painters. When its time to choose a paint company to paint the interior or exterior of a home, you may want to consider a few different things.
You may want to choose one who specializes in your type of home. For instance if you have an older heritage home that requires special attention to details such as striping old paint and restoring something to new condition, you may want to make sure that paint company has the qualifications and the know how to tackle such a task. These types of jobs are very difficult and require much time, materials and labour, the costs are usually never low.
1. Make a list of all the painting jobs you need done. This includes painting doors, walls, trim, and patios.
2. Decide what colors you want to paint your home. If you want a new look and feel, try asking either a design consultant or professional painters for their opinions on what color scheme to use. You can also decide what paint brand you would like your painter to use.
3. Determine your budget, and how much you are willing to spend on your painting job. While some people prefer to paint their own homes, most find it easier and more efficient to hire professionals. Sometimes, attempting to do it yourself ends up in mistakes, and ultimately, more money and time.
4. Contact friends and family and ask for painter recommendations. Contact several painters and ask for quotes – usually, professional painting companies will provide a free estimate. Make sure you are getting a quote for the exact specifications you have in mind – the number of coats, areas to be painted and project timeline. Some additional places to look for local painters are in Google search, your local yellow pages and local community directories.
5. Make sure you’ve seen your painters’ portfolios, whether this comes in the form of case studies, photos or customer references. In the best case scenario, you can see what other customers of the painter had to say about their services. Also, verify their insurance and painters’ licenses.
6. Make sure the painters will clean up thoroughly after themselves.